An end-user support specialist, also known as an IT support specialist, helps customers and computer users ensure that all computers, software, and peripherals work correctly. An end-user support representative can work in an organization or support customers who have purchased a particular software or hardware product.
Most end-user support professionals must be trained in repairing and installing computer hardware and software. Depending on the end user’s responsibilities, certifications may be required in computer networks, software, or specific applications. As this position may involve a very wide range of tasks, many organizations may set up a new college or complete a technical school and allow them to learn at work.
Responsibility for end-user support:
In today’s fast-paced world, technology is the key to survival. Technology plays a key role in survival in almost every business and opens the door to the needs of the user support market. End-user support professionals are in high demand in today’s technology-driven environment, so there’s plenty of room for maneuver in this area to build an advanced career. Before you decide on a particular career, you must have an idea of the responsibilities and responsibilities of this job. Below are detailed analyzes of support responsibilities for the end-user.
The primary responsibility of the end-user support engineer is to diagnose a malformed program in computer systems within an organization and to provide an immediate solution to the problem so that the organization can work effectively.
When a defect is detected in the computer system, the clients request the service experts at the end-user of the company to solve this particular problem. End-user support then diagnoses the problem and is working to fix it. In the event of a severe technical defect in the system, the end-user support representative must call the Level 2 technical support team to resolve the issue. The workload for end-user support depends on the company policies.
The primary end-user support activities include:
- Identifying, diagnose and resolving hardware and software problems of higher level in mainframe systems such as laptops and PCs
- Installs and updates hardware and software and provides complete support for hardware, software and peripheral configuration for the end-user
- Provide general desktop support, project coordination, imaging / re-imaging of PCs and laptops
- Individual assistance of the end-user in relation to the technical defect, by telephone, by e-mail or in-person
- Resolve network problems such as LAN connection, network access, e-mail, Internet, dial-up connection, etc.
- Contact the third-party vendor to repair the system based on the maintenance contract and to resolve minor hardware problems if not covered
- Support for the installation of other peripherals such as printers, scanners, etc., cabling systems such as LAN cables, network interface cards, cable switches, etc.
- Support and support colleagues and work with other support groups and suppliers to solve second level problems
- Develop strategies, support projects, and applications, test software, develop and promote with level 2 support to prevent future technical failures
- Monitor and analyze the performance of an updated system, monitor performance, reliability, risks and benefits
- Help network engineers create easy-to-use information materials like brochures and flyers, update the latest IP policies and other technical controls
Qualifications and skills required:
End-user support must have basic training in the configuration, installation, and troubleshooting of computer hardware and software. Depending on the qualification requirements and the area of competence, a certification course will be considered for IT networks, hardware, software and / or specific applications. Someone with a degree in information management systems or information technology is preferred to a regular graduate.
Depending on the scope of the tasks, the work experience will also be considered in this work. However, many companies employ students directly at technical schools, as this activity involves a variety of tasks. Previous experience with MS Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, TCP / IP, and other technical knowledge is generally considered helpful for better positioning. In addition to work experience, interpersonal skills are also taken into account, since the main work areas and several customers have to be managed simultaneously.
Because end-user support professionals work in a technical field, they play an important role in the overall operation of the system. In addition to regular working hours, an end-user support representative may oblige you to work beyond the regular office hours and / or weekends due to shift shifts.
The average end-user support technician salary ranges from $ 40,000 to $ 50,000 a year, depending on the business, the complexity of the work, and the sense of responsibility.
Shortly, end-user support professionals will make great strides in their technology careers as they evolve. A quick look at the tasks of end-user care is always helpful when you are ready to start a career in this area.
Angelique Chrisafis is the Guardian’s Paris correspondent. She is responsible for churning out quality articles based on her research while keeping an eye on the tech world. She likes technology, gadgets, and food. Works as an individual contributor to the team.