When your house is too old, there is always a need for improvement. Now you must be wondering why relate old to improvement? The answer to your question is that when the home where you had grown up becomes old, the structure usually becomes weak because of all the wear and tear it had gone through over several years.
Structural damages are one of the main issues, but there are some of the other issues as well that need your attention. The foundation of your house can become weak because of the water that remains standby due to the clogged gutters. Besides dampness, there could be the growth of molds in the bathroom, basement and laundry room of your house that needs your immediate attention. These are the problems associated with the structure of your home, but there could be other issues as well. However, everything can be sorted if you plan to renovate your house.
There are almost as many issues to be fixed up when it comes to home renovations. Therefore, here are some of the reasons why you should consider home renovations?
1) Enhance comfort and liveability- Everyone wants their home to be a secure and comfortable place to live in. If your house is too old and weak, it becomes easy for intruders and burglars to steal away your valuables. Home renovations allow you to replace dull and old walls with the new and robust, incorporating sturdy doors and windows of new trends. With home renovations, you can convert your space into your comfort zone.
2) To fix the safety issues- Even though you have gone through home repairs many a time, but now you are just tired of all the issues, including, roof leaks, electrical problems, presence of mold, poor ventilation, flooring issues. The solution to all your problems is replacement instead of repairs.
3) Reduce energy bills- If you have seen a rise in the electricity bill of your house, the main reason is the escape of energy from cracks, broken doors, windows and certain areas of the house that are not well-framed. Adding fiberglass windows that offer perfect insulation and laminate flooring that can act as an insulator too can save you a lot on your energy bills as it enhances the energy-efficiency of your house.
4) To make additions- Everything asks for an upgrade, and so does your home. When your family extends, you will need more rooms and space in your house. So, it is better to go for home additions and reconstruct the space to add functional corners for everyone. You can either add rooms to your basement or if you have a spacious layout, go for incorporating additional space and increase the value of your house.
5) To upgrade the functionality and value of your home- If you are planning to resale your house, selling a wrecked and old house will be a loss, not a profit. If you really want a good amount of money in return, upgrade the functionality and renovate your house for the buyers
Angelique Chrisafis is the Guardian’s Paris correspondent. She is responsible for churning out quality articles based on her research while keeping an eye on the tech world. She likes technology, gadgets, and food. Works as an individual contributor to the team.