Huawei will launch its next flagship phone worldwide, number two smartphone manufacturer, without any authorized access to the world’s top smartphone operating scheme – Android – or any of Google’s omnipresents applications.
At a September 19 case in Munich, the 5 G-capable Mate 30 will be revealed, CNBC said on Friday. However, thanks to the efforts of the US govt, the launch of an enterprise which saw its European smartphone market share increase by 55.7% in 2018 comes under a cloud of uncertainty.
Here is what the conflict between the United States and Huawei needs to understand.
What does Huawei mean?
Huawei, established in 1987, has a early history of upgrading China’s telephone infrastructure to assist in the nation’s shift from the importation of foreign-generated technology.
Since then, it has extended globally and introduced its own product lines, including progressively competitive smartphones for Samsung and Apple.
Why is this contentious?
The United States intelligence services suspect that the Chinese military is closely linked with Huawei, and fear that the firm may provide the government with a backdoor to overseas networks. The US has pushed its allies to stop using Huawei in their 5-G networks, stating that if they continue to work with the company they can discontinue intelligency sharing. In December 2018, the United States also arranged the detention in Canada of Huawei Executive Meng Wanzhou, his founder’s daughter and chairman’s son, on bank charges and wire fraud alleging violations of US sanctions on Iran.
In May the Trump Administration escalated with twin moves its assaults on Huawei, which enables the government to ban “foreign adversaries” technology if the government is determined to present “inconsiderable hazards” to national security, and to place Huawei on an “entity list” of the business departments prohibiting the acquisition of parts and technology from US businesses without a government.
Huawei has since received two 90-day replacements from the Commercial Department in which it has maintained its current infrastructure and supplied current Huawei equipment. On 19 November the most recent temporary arrangement will expire.
What is Google doing about this?
As a U.S. business, Google needs to adhere to the Huawei blacklist ruling by the government. Just after Huawei was put on the entity list a few US carriers revealed that their products, such as Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom, would be stopped from supplying Huawei. The ban is also extended to software, including Google’s Android, a Huawei smartphone operating system.
There is an open-source Android version accessible but the blacklist prevents Huawei from accessing licensed variants that include technical assistance and Google pre-install applications such as Google Maps and Gmail.
Although the US commercial department has granted 90-day temporary licenses to existing Huawei smartphones for maintaining an up-to-date Android licence, the temporary license is not for new products, which means that the Mate 30 can not be sold with a licensed Android version or with Google apps that are installed.
So how are the handsets going to work?
This is uncertain. It is uncertain. Huawei introduced lately its own scheme, which HarmonyOS is called. However, CNBC reports that HarmonyOS will not be used on the Mate 30, partly because it will not harm its connection to Google. It does not want to. A spokesman for the business told CNBC Android is still the “first option” for Huawei
Users from some parts of the world may download Google apps themselves if Huawei uses Android’s open source version on their phones. But the apps don’t come pre-installed. But there is still uncertainty.
Angelique Chrisafis is the Guardian’s Paris correspondent. She is responsible for churning out quality articles based on her research while keeping an eye on the tech world. She likes technology, gadgets, and food. Works as an individual contributor to the team.